THE FORMIDABLE CHURCH
TEXT: Eph 5:25-30, Matt 16:16-19, Eph 3:10, Matt 7:24-27
Introduction: We talk of the Catholic Church i.e the Physical Universal Christian Church and the church triumphant i.e those saints that has cross over to Him and are with Him in glory. But as the Lord is waiting for us to join the church triumphant, He the present physical church to be a formidable Church. He said the church He will build, the gate of hell will not prevail against her.. A formidable church is a powerful intense and capable church. A church strong and powerful and therefore difficult to deal with if opposed to. The church in it correct sense is not your denomination or building but a life that is separated to Him, life that knows Him and received Jesus Christ as Lord and Saviour. By this you become a member of His body – His church where He is the head. Eph 1:22-23; 2:18-22. The point here is how you become a sanctuary of God and members of His body. Knowing this, He want you and I to become a formidable church that the world and her system cannot resist but submit to. These He described or pointed out in the emphasis of the church He desire and He’s coming back for.
Characteristics of a Formidable Church:
The Formidable Church must be one with:
– Strength of Faith – Heb 11:6, John 14:1, Mark 11:22-24, Acts 16:5
– Powerful in the Spirit – Acts 1:8; 4:8-13, 31-35; Acts 9:31
– Intense in the Great Commission – Acts 2:47; 5:14; 6:1,7; 9:31; 11:21
– Capable in all Ramification – Acts 2:43-47; 4:32-35
All these attributes that are through Christ Jesus her Lord, makes her formidable in all aspect, against opposition, in accomplishment, also in prospect.
Ephesians raises the following issues that must be the life of a would be formidable church.
– Must acknowledge and submit to the leadership of Jesus Christ – Eph 5:22
– Must believe Him as his or her Saviour – vs 23c
– Must submit wholly in all things to Jesus Christ – vs 24
– Must be convinced of the love of Jesus Christ for him or her. Never be in doubt if God’s love for you – vs 25
– Must believe in the sacrifice of Jesus Christ and take the benefits – vs 25b
– Must pursue holiness – vs 26a
– Must live by His word – vs26b
– Must pursue perfection as He is perfect – vs 27
You must know that Jesus Christ the head of the Church loves you so much that He died for you. Eph 5:28 – 29, Romans 5: 5-6. He cares for you.
He is interceding for you. He waits upon you to meet your needs as you called, even before you call.
He is your rock of defense, which makes you a formidable opponent to the devil – Matt 16:19.
You are formidable through Christ Jesus that strengthen you. Phil 4:13.
A Formidable Church:
– Walks in the fear and humility of the Lord.
– Stands firm in faith.
– Pursue justice and righteousness. Micha 6:8
– Pursue and imitate the character and attributes of her founder and builder
– Pursue holiness and peace – Heb 12:14
– Is one whose word is her power
– Pursue love and kindness with all men. John 13:35
– Have her treasure laid up in heaven – Matt 6:19-21
– Is full of compassion and love
– Is a church that is on rescue mission. Matt 28:19-20
– She is eternity focused and terrestrially impactful. Mat 5:13-16