7 SUNDAYS FAMILY REVIVAL
THEME: FAMILY AND NATION RESTORATION:
BACK TO THE BIBLE
1ST SUNDAY, JULY 19, 2020
TOPIC: RESTORATION OF HIS IMAGE AND
TEXT: GENESIS 1:26-28; MALACHI 2:15
Introduction: I welcome you to the special season of divine restoration as God started this 2nd half of the year with us as set time for mercy and restoration. The Lord God is focusing our family and nation restoration with us for the next seven Sundays. It will be a journey through the Bible for rediscovering of God’s mind and experiencing His promises for homes and for nations transformation. Today we are starting with restoration of His image and likeness in us as the foundation for the total restoration for families and nations.
A. The Man God Created: In His image and likeness – Gen 1:26-28
• Only man was created in the image and likeness of God out of all His creation. God’s image in mankind depicts humanity as distinct from animals.
• The Image of God – Eph 4:24, Col 3:10. It is an image that bears the righteousness and holiness of God. Man created to reflect these characters. The image of God in us is the shared attribute of God-like:
God’s love – 1 John 4:7-8
God is Spirit– John 4:24
God is holy – 1 Pet 1:15-16
God is eternal – Gen 2:7
Authority to rule – Gen 1:28; 2:19-20
God is righteous – Isaiah 45:21, Jer 12:1, John 17:25
God is good – Luke 18:19, Ps 107:1
B. Distortion to His Image – Gen 3:2-6; 5:1-3, Rom 3:23
• This came because of our rejection of God’s holiness and rules in our lives.
• Sin (disobedience, pride, self etc) has devastatingly affected the image of God in us. Rom 3:23, Isaiah 59:1-4
• This distortion affected the family life very tragically. Gen 3:16-24; 4:1-10.
C. The Restoration of His Image – Rom 8:28-30, 2 Cor 3:16-18
• It is only through Jesus Christ, substitutionary atonement and resurrection that mankind can be forgiven, transformed and conformed to the image of Christ. Eph 4:24, Col 3:5-10
• It is written “therefore, if anyone is in Christ, the new creation has come; the old has gone, the new is here! 2 Cor 5:17.
Conclusion: Our good God through the Lord Jesus Christ brought His image and likeness back to human kind that as of the beginning we shall be conformed to His image. This should produce:
– The man and woman after God’s own heart.
• The man and woman with the nature and attribute of God through the Spirit of God – 2 Cor 3:18, Gal 5:22-24
• The man and woman with the mind of Christ – Phil 2:5
• The man and woman who are Christ Ambassadors – 2 Cor 5:20
• The man and woman who produces godly offsprings – Mal 2:15